Culture and art do not stop, so the León National Book Fair, Fenal, reinvents itself to reach readers’ homes directly. From September 30 to October 4, the largest word party in the Bajío will hold virtual editorial presentations, distance workshops, online meetings and artistic presentations, and much more.
Organized by the Cultural Institute of León, Fenal was born more than 30 years ago with the aim of being a space for training readers and enriching, through literature, the various generations of the city and the region.
On this occasion and prioritizing the health of citizens in this season of self-protection, Fenal innovates and evolves to present its 31st edition online, without losing that essence that characterizes it as a literary tradition in the region. The historic Plaza de Gallos will be the venue and stage for the multiple live broadcasts that will reach the homes of readers through different digital platforms.
The first edition of the Fair was held from April 25 to May 3, 1990, under the name of the National Children’s and Youth Book Fair; Since then, this cultural event has grown to establish itself as one of the five most important Book Fairs in the country and the largest literary gathering in the region.
Throughout its editions, great writers have attended, such as the Mexicans Carlos Monsiváis, Fernanda Melchor, Benito Taibo and Ángeles Mastretta; as well as international authors such as Irvine Welsh or Gilles Lipovetsky; just to mention a few.
- 31 edition.
- From September 30 to October 4.
- 4 blocks of activities: editorial presentations, meetings, workshops and artistic presentations.
History of the Fenal
- The first edition is held from April 25 to May 3, 1990, under the name of the National Children’s and Youth Book Fair.
- It changes its name to become the National Children’s and Youth Book Fair and University Book Expo.
- It shortens its name to the National Children’s, Youth and University Book Fair.
- In order to open its meaning to all citizens, it adopts the name of the National Book Fair in León.
- The FeNaL brand is coined.
- Its image is redesigned with the creation of a new logo and the brand evolves into Fenal.